“I want to file an appeal — the jury gave the wrong verdict”

On Behalf of | Dec 3, 2021 | Criminal Defense |

During your criminal trial, you noticed a few things that worried you. The judge’s rulings made it seem they agreed with the prosecution. When you asked about this, you found out that the judge wasn’t showing their impartiality.

Because of this, you believe that the jury came to the wrong verdict. You want to file an appeal, even if it means you still spend time behind bars.

An appeal is your way of correcting the record

The judge and jury in your case may not be the final authority. If you and your defense believe that mistakes were made, you have the right to appeal the verdict. Your reason for doing so is that the mistakes that were made mean that you were convicted or given a heavier sentence.

If you and your defense are able to prove that events during your trial have prejudiced the jury against you, an appellate court may grant an appeal.

What happens before I request an appeal?

Your team goes over your case and everything that happened during the trial. They may ask for the transcript, which is a printed record of everything that happened. These steps mean your team will highlight certain issues that allow them to argue for you.

When an appeal is requested, this means you and your team may be requesting a new trial. If the judge says “no,” then your team can file a notice of appeal.

Steps the appellate court can take

The appellate judges can only look at what happened in your trial. They cannot look at new evidence. This means that the court may agree with your conviction. They can order the case back to the trial court for more work. Or they may reverse your conviction, then send your case back to the court for a new trial.


RSS Feed

FindLaw Network